Brexit update for UK registrants of .EU domains - act before January 1st
If you are based in the UK and the registrant or owner of one or more .EU domains, you have to act now to keep your .EU domains, since they will be suspended* on January 1st, 2021 due to EURid's 'Brexit' regulation.
If you own one or more domain(s) affected by this regulation, we have already contacted you via email. You will also be contacted by EURid directly.
If you do nothing, on January 1st 2021 - EURid - the registry for .EU domains - will put your domain(s) into the 'suspended' status.
UPDATE: On 1 January 2021, over 81 000 .EU domain names in total whose registrants had GB/GI as country code were moved to the “SUSPENDED” status. As of today, over 7 000 of these domain names have been reinstated.
We would hereby like to update you that these domain names will remain in “SUSPENDED” status until 30 June 2021 instead of the previously published date, 31 March 2021. After that they will be withdrawn and finally revoked/deleted on January 1st, 2022. These domains will then become available for general registration.
Note: Domains that are suspended but still up for renewal before June 30th will still be withdrawn on July 1st 2021. Please either update your contact or delete the domain BEFORE it is renewed, if it is in suspended status.
*(a domain name in the "suspended" status can no longer support any services such as website and email, but may still be reinstated if registration data is updated to meet the eligibility criteria)
If you want to keep your .EU domain(s), you have the following options:
1) Update Your Country of Citizenship
If you are an EU citizen, you can update the data for 'country of citizenship' of your domains. This is a valid status for UK-based EU citizens, and will protect your domains from deletion.
If you want to change/update your 'country of citizenship' data, just login to your Joker.com account, then:
- click on "Modify" for your EU domain
- click on "modify domain owner"
- enter the EU country of your citizenship into the new field 'Country of citizenship'
2) Use Our Trustee Service
In case you do not have an EU citizenship, you also can buy our Trustee Service, which allows to keep your EU domains.
To enable Trustee Service for your EU domains, you just have to
- click on 'Modify' for your domain
- click on 'buy Trustee Service'
Deciding on the Trustee service means, that we (Joker.com) will act as a proxy registrant for you.
3) Transfer your domains
It is also possible to transfer your EU domain(s) to another registrant who is an EU citizen.
This transfer can also be done using 'Modify' and 'Modify domain owner' like with option 1)
What happens to my .EU domains if I am a UK resident and don't update my domains accordingly?
- On 21 December 2020, EURid will notify by email all UK registrants and their registrars who have not yet demonstrated compliance with the eligibility criteria about the risk of non-compliance with the .eu regulatory framework.
- On 1 January 2021, EURid will notify by email all UK registrants and their registrars that their domain name is no longer compliant with the .eu eligibility criteria and is moved to the “SUSPENDED” status until 31 March 2021.
- On 1 April 2021, EURid will again notify by email all UK registrants and their registrars that their domain name is no longer compliant with the .eu regulatory framework and is moved to the “WITHDRAWN” status.
- On 1 January 2022, all the domain names in the “WITHDRAWN” status, formerly assigned to UK registrants, will be REVOKED and become AVAILABLE for general registration.